My introduction to the Blues was purely accidental. Thank you Jesus it happened, that's all I can say.
Every blues aficionado, of which I am NOT one, per say, knows of Robert Johnson and the Crossroads.
That is where I begin my Blues education:
Robert Johnson recorded 29 songs between 1936 and 1937, one of which was "Cross Roads Blues"
Johnson performed it as a solo piece with his vocal and acoustic slide guitar in the Delta blues-style.
The song has become part of the Robert Johnson mythology as referring to the place where he supposedly sold his soul to the Devil in exchange for his musical talents, although the lyrics do not contain any specific references.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?
- Bluesman Elmore James revived the song "Crossroads Blues" with recordings in 1954 and 1960–1961.
Well I was standin' at the crossroad, and my baby not around
Well I begin to wonder, 'Is poor Elmore sinkin' down'
https://www.youtube.com/watch?
- Guitarist Eric Clapton with Creampopularized the song as "Crossroads" in the late 1960s.
I'm going down to Rosedale, take my rider by my side
You can still barrel house baby, on the riverside
https://www.youtube.com/watch? v=PE9HvSdcaL4
In 1986, Robert Johnson's "Cross Road Blues" was inducted into theBlues Foundation Hall of Fame.
Writing for the foundation, Jim O'Neal noted that "regardless of mythology and rock 'n' roll renditions,
Johnson's record was indeed a powerful one, a song that would stand the test of time on its own
You can still barrel house baby, on the riverside
https://www.youtube.com/watch?
In 1986, Robert Johnson's "Cross Road Blues" was inducted into theBlues Foundation Hall of Fame.
Writing for the foundation, Jim O'Neal noted that "regardless of mythology and rock 'n' roll renditions,
Johnson's record was indeed a powerful one, a song that would stand the test of time on its own
| Paula Carter |
No comments:
Post a Comment