Wednesday, February 17, 2016

FEED THE BRAIN MEAT!

FEED THE BRAIN MEAT





We all know that music is both art and entertainment that is meant to give us pleasure.  True music lovers already know that they feel better when listening to their favorite music.  Have not all of us had a really shitty day and looked forward to coming home and spinning a certain record?  Been getting ready to go out for a night and playing a certain song or record to get pumped up?  Pick out certain songs to motivate us to exercise?  Mow the lawn?  Set “the mood”?  Or maybe even search out older tunes to satisfy a certain nostalgia missing on a certain day?   The reason we do this is because it is scientifically proven that music does indeed affect us, promotes health and happiness.  It has distinct impacts on the brain for focusing attention, learning new languages, improving memory as well as physical benefits of healing, coordination, and development. 

The purpose of this “blog” will be to expose people to music that not only provides all of the above, but also does not suck.  Suck-ass music…mindless drivel, poorly recorded, poorly played does not give these benefits.  With the tools available to us, there is no reason to listen to shitty music.  With Youtube, Pandora, Spotify, iTunes, MediaMonkey, more music is available to us than ever before.   Now, on the flip side, modern audio equipment has dumbed down music to the point where it is not even musical anymore.   (A detailed blog on this will be coming soon).  So, while iPods and the like has made music more readily available, it has not treated it well. 

The difference of this blog is that it will be by no means my personal page for feeding the brain meat some excellent music.  Rather, I am creating a place holder that will allow for sharing other blogs, contributing authors/experts, and many different opinions.   To start off, I have enlisted four people whom I feel are overqualified to share their experiences in hopes that all will be exposed to a wide swath of kick-ass music that crosses all Genres but retains the badass badge no matter the source.  To that end, please let me introduce the initial contributors.  And I would encourage them to contribute a backstory so that people might have a good understanding of where they are coming from.

Joe Stockton

A legendary BADASS from Coffeyville Kansas.  Joe is an artist, musician, smartass, and an expert in Americana music.  His breadth of knowledge in both recorded and live concerts in this genre is unparalleled from my experiences.  From what I have experienced, Music is a monstrous part of Joe’s life and he lives it.  He walks the walk, never just talk.   I highly suggest checking him out here at Reverb Nation

Paula Carter

My sister, and someone who was exposed to good music at an early age.  I have witnessed her musical journey from 70’s classic rock to 90’s rock to country to blues to Americana to a wide breadth combination of all.  Our Father was many things, but one of those things was a love of music that he shared with us.  He used good equipment to listen to good music.  If it was shit, he didn’t listen to it.  Not even to appease his own children. 

Megan (Murphy) Schwab

I grew up around Megan and was always secretly enamored with her approach to life.  She didn’t give two shits what anyone thought, she lived her own life.  I remember music being a big part of her life and that she was considered to be a bit eclectic in what she listened to.  She is smart, witty, and has the zeal for musical life that would be a keystone in any blog about this topic.   She epitomizes what this blog is about.   Doesn’t matter what genre, just has to be awesome.

Tom Roberson

Tom has the most diverse, complete record collection of any living human being I know.  If I remember correctly, he has something like over 6000 albums, god knows how many concerts/bootlegs, and he listens to all of them.  His tastes in music run very similar to mine, and is just as diverse as mine.  He is also a percussionist that has played in bands, has had music as an integral part of his life from an early age, and digs Elvis.  How can that not be a great addition to the mix?


T.C. Carter

Me.  I have grown up and evolved with music being a key part of my life at almost every step of the way.  I played musical instruments during my formative years and have always focused on trying to have excellent equipment to play it back with.  I have a background in acoustical engineering as well as build and design my own audio components.  Because of this, I am constantly evolving into getting the best playback experience I can muster.  I have made it a life mission to filter through the crap that marketing tells one what the right way to listen to music is, rather instead focusing on sound acoustic and psychoacoustic principles to lead the way.  I listen to everything.  Rock, Metal, Country, Americana, Rap, Classical, Jazz, Blues, African Drum, Viking, Percussion…my main focus is listening to “quality” recordings of great music.   That is where most of my focus will sit. 


I feel, with this initial group, others will add to the experience to make for a well-rounded, no-bullshit music page that everyone can find something to suit their tastes, learn something new, discover the next big thing, and feed their brain meat good food.   

I will leave you with words of wisdom from my Father.   “The only true test of good music, is the test of time.”

No comments:

Post a Comment